Cuoco Corner with Matt Bugeja
"I worked with Matt at Becasse which was a two hat fine dining restaurant in Sydney , where he was one of the top skilled chefs there. Always super nice to everyone, never angry, but also super talented and a perfectionist as well." - Alex Huxtable , Sous Chef Ciccia Bella Bondi
This bad boy is easily my favourite sauce, and for good reason, it ticks all the boxes. Sweet, salty and a little sour. It’s really hard to beat.
Puttanesca translation ‘prostitute’ (the sauce is said to have been devised by prostitutes as one which could be cooked quickly between clients)
4 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic
1 long red chilli
2 tbsp baby capers
1/2 cup black olives
1/2 cup semi sun dried tomatoes
200ml white wine
1 can diced tomato
1 bunch basil
Parmesan to finish
1. Heat oil in a heavy based pan, sweat down on a low heat your sliced garlic, chilli, anchovies, capers, olives and sun dried tomatoes.
2. Turn up the heat for a minute and add your wine. Let the liquid reduce by half then add your can tomato.
3. Let your sauce cook out for 5-6 minutes. Then she’s ready to go.
4. Service with your choice of pasta or gnocchi. Spaghetti is my go to.
5. Toss through your fresh basil and top with loads of Parmesan.
6. Rip in!